Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Starting My Job Search!

So,

I have started my job search for either an internship or a payed position at an eighteenth century location. I am hoping for an house museum, but will also be willing to look at forts, etc. The point is that I need to get into the time period for my future! If there are no internships, then I will volunteer and work for money somewhere else. I volunteered for two years at Tanner House before I was hired, so I do understand how that can go.

I want to focus in eighteenth and early nineteenth century houses and families. (Before 1830 for me.) House histories do not only include the building, but also the people that lived there. It also includes furniture, walls, etc. You can even go as far as including clothing, but that would be for display and discussion purposes only, really.


Bowen House at Mansker's Station


While I love where I am (Tanner House Museum), I have to pursue my ultimate goal, otherwise I will never get there!

Today I telephoned Mansker's Station in Goodlettesville, TN. I also called Tennessee Historical Commission, Tennessee State Parks and Tennessee Preservation Trust. I started here because this is where all of my family is and would be easy to go back "home". I either left a message or they have no openings. Well, I'll just keep going. Someone will say yes and be happy to have me!

8 comments:

  1. Taylor, I've been e-mailing you without success about another matter. Can you check your SPAM folder, please? I keep getting auto responses with no text in them! Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    This place is lovely! Thank you, I would love to visit there. Unfortunately, I work on Saturdays but I am up for trying another day for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your field is very interesting! You must know a lot about history, museum artifacts, and all those beautiful 18th and 19th century structures, and their names! Good luck to wherever you will land on in the future! I know you will do great because you really seem to love this kind of work.


    Sherlock  Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherlock,

      Thank you so much for the kind words. I will say that I thought that I knew a lot, until I started working in the museum. Then, I learned that I really didn't know anything. There is so much to learn, and that is what is exciting.

      I apologize for the delay in replying, the Halloween event really took a lot of my time and I have not been able to look into my posts and replies until now.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
  5. That’s the spirit! Reading your post, I can sense how determined you are in making your dreams come true. And looking for an internship or a volunteer job is the right thing to do. Internships present some benefits, like building professional connection, and it can be a place to test-drive your skills. Moreover, there is a chance that you will retain your job if you’ve done a great job with your internship. Studies indicate that 40% of employers reported a higher retention rate among employees that they hired via internship. [Rupert Echard]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rupert,

    Thank you for the enthusiasm! I completely agree with your statement (although I was not aware of the percentage). I was a recruiter for many years and have given this advice to so many people that I cannot count. To get into a field, you really need to have experience, especially if this field requires a minimum of many years and there are numerous people with degrees within the same field. I really look forward to what I will find. :)

    ReplyDelete

Great T-Shirts and More!


See other gifts available on Zazzle.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...